Senior Designer or Managing Designer (UK based)
Applications MUST contain a covering letter, a full CV and examples of relevant work.
Who we are:
Miles Kelly is an established publisher of highly illustrated books for children, based in a barn in Thaxted, Essex. Our small team prides itself on producing exceptional products that promote a love of reading and books in children aged 2–10 years.
Who we’re looking for:
A highly creative book designer (Senior or Managing). The ideal candidate will have at least three years’ experience of working in children’s publishing with a thorough working knowledge of the publishing process. You will work closely with the Creative Director, Junior Designer, Repro Manager and the Editorial Department. The role includes coming up with new concepts, designing books within existing series, and reformatting and rejacketing backlist titles. You will have exemplary artistic and design skills and be able to demonstrate a high level of attention to detail. Along with meticulous organisational skills, you will be a clear communicator and have a passion for children’s books.
Key duties, responsibilities and skills:
Reporting to the Creative Director:
• A thorough knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator (essential)
• Competence in Microsoft Office
• A solid understanding of the book production process along with the ability to set up and supply files for repro and print
• A degree or equivalent and design experience within children’s illustrated publishing
• The ability to research and respond to current trends and styles within children’s publishing and the wider world of art and design, including toys and games
• The ability to develop projects from initial ideas to final print-ready files, including presenting concepts, scamping up ideas and briefs, and using either pencil or iPad to create sketches from which artwork will be commissioned
• Strong typographic skills using age- and book-appropriate fonts
• Confidence working at a fast pace whilst maintaining quality and attention to detail
• A genuine passion for print and publishing, and a work ethic that reflects this
• Common sense and the ability to work under your own initiative
• Great communication skills and the ability to establish working relationships at all levels
• The ability to follow schedules, and work to tight deadlines under pressure
• A demonstrable awareness and knowledge of the children’s book market
• A strong creative flair for prototyping new ideas
What we offer:
• Training and development
• Workplace pension
• Free onsite parking
Need to know:
Salary based on experience and role (£30,000–£35,000). Please state which role you are applying for. These are in-house roles Monday to Thursday 9–5, Friday working from home. Further hybrid working is possible. Only successful candidates will be contacted. To be considered, applications must contain a covering letter, a full CV and examples of relevant work. Successful candidates will be expected to take a design test before interview, as well as at interview. Own transport is essential. Send applications to the Creative Director, Jo, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: 30 September 2023