Junior Picture Dictionary for kids aged 5+ covers hundreds of topics, from asteroids to zebras, with bright images and short, simple annotations.
• Fantastic artwork and photos throughout to help familiarise kids with new concepts.
• Colour-coded sections to help navigation through the book.
• Simple, clear text to build confidence in young readers.
Covering an encyclopedic range of objects, Junior Picture Dictionary introduces kids to using a dictionary through picture association – perfect for kids aged 5+ and those who prefer a visual learning style. With amazing photos, labelled illustrations and clear diagrams, this fantastic book gives children a rewarding way to expand their vocabulary and develop their spelling ability and general knowledge.
Colour-coded subject areas in Junior Picture Dictionary and examples of pictures:
• Universe: Diagram showing the different phases of the moon
• Planet Earth: A helpful diagram to explain the image of continental drift
• Prehistoric Life: Visual timeline of the evolution of man
• Plants: A cross-section of a flower and its function
• Animals: Species of butterflies and their names
• Human Body: Diagrams of vital body systems and how they work
• Transport: Technical names for parts of a car and where they are found
Examples of clear introductions to subjects:
• Life of a star: stars are different sizes depending on how old they are – they live for millions of years.
• Global warming: Too much carbon dioxide, which can be caused by pollution, in the atmosphere causes Earth's temperature to rise.
• Fossil formation: Fossils are the remains of animals and plants that died a very long time ago and became preserved in rocks.
• Plant groups: There are more than 400,000 different kinds of plant. Similar plant types are put together in different groups.
• Shark anatomy: Three groups of fish – sharks, skates and rays, and chimeras have a skeleton made of cartilage instead of bone. They are known as cartilaginous fish.
• Digestive system: Breaks down food so it can be absorbed by the body.
• Aircraft: People first tried to fly hundreds of years ago. Over 200 years ago in France, the Montgolfier brothers made a large balloon and were the first people to fly.
Size: 220 x 170 mm
Format: Paperback with iridescent foil
FREE standard UK delivery on every order in 3–7 working days
Next day UK delivery £5.95
International delivery from £7.50
Read more details about Delivery and Returns.
Gift card codes are delivered by email.
Butterflies and Moths Handbook is a brilliant UK butterfly identification guide for kids, helping young learners aged 8+ to identify over 40 different types confidently. • Clear identification tips• Useful...
Cats Handbook is a detailed cat guide for kids. Children aged 8+ can read about 40+ different cat breeds, including Short-haired Tabby, Siamese and Persian Blue Longhair. • Amazing photography and...
Dinosaurs Handbook is a concise dinosaur identification guide for kids, helping young learners aged 8+ to identify over 40 different types with confidence. • Clear identification tips• Useful illustrations and...